Monday, August 27, 2007

When insults had class...

A recent series started in the Asian Age, Kolkata is titled 'When insults had class', a series of witty quotes by people. I was very impressed with the collection and thought of sharing a few gems with you:
  • "He has all the virt ues I dislike and none of the vices I admire." - Winston Churchill
  • "A modest little person, with much to be modest about." - Winston Churchill
  • "I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure." - Clarence Darrow
  • "I've had a perfectly wonderful evening. But this wasn't it." - Groucho Marx
  • "He has no enemies, but is intensely disliked by his friends." - Oscar Wilde
  • "I am enclosing two tickets to the first night of my new play, bring a friend... if you have one." - George Bernard Shaw to Winston Churchill
  • "Cannot possibly attend first night, will attend second... if there is one." - Winston Churchill, in response
  • "I feel so miserable without you, it's almost like having you here." - Stephen Bishop
  • "He is simply a shiver looking for a spine to run up." - Paul Keating
  • "There's nothing wrong with you that reincarnation won't cure." - Jack E. Leonard
  • "He loves nature in spite of what it did to him." - Forrest Tucker
  • "He uses statistics as a drunken man uses lamp-posts... for support rather than illumination." - Andrew Lang (1844-1912)
While reading a little more on the nature of insults (!) I learnt that in medicine insult is a synonym for injury or trauma. No wonder!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Lol..ouch! those were good!